Home » COMMENTARY » Sandra Bullock Some Tax Advice and the DUH Factor

Sandra Bullock Some Tax Advice and the DUH Factor

By Stacie Clifford Kitts, CPA

Everywhere I turn someone is talking about Sandra Bullock and how Jesse James done her wrong. Boy, I do understand her pain and there is no doubt that the situation sucks. But really, should we all be this shocked?

I think a More Tax Tips reader put the situation into the proper perspective when he said there really is no surprise about how [the marriage] turned out. If you marry a bad boy, you shouldn’t be surprised when he acts badly. 

Moreover, Sandra is old enough to know that she should not have latched onto a fixer upper. After all, he was married to a porn star; this might have been a clue that his take on the whole monogamy thing was a little different from say America’s Sweetheart. DUH

Anyway, I’m just sayin’.

So on to the tax part of this post. 

If you are headed for divorce court here are a few things to keep in mind for tax time. 

  1. Your marital status on the last day of the year determines your marital status for the entire year.
  2. Single filing status generally applies to anyone who is unmarried, divorced, or legally separated according to state law.
  3. A married couple may file a joint return together. The couple’s filing status would be Married Filing Jointly.
  4. A married couple may elect to file their returns separately. Each person’s filing status would generally be Married Filing Separately. This would be the proper election if you did not want to be tied to your spouse’s tax return particularly if you thought that he or she was evading taxes.
  5. You may qualify for head of household status even if you are still legally married at the end of the tax year. 
    • You are unmarried or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year.
    • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.
    • A “qualifying person” lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the “qualifying person” is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you. See Special rule for parent , under Qualifying Person.

Check out IRS Publication 501 for more information

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: