Home » FILING YOUR TAX RETURN » IRS Presents:Four Places to Find Free Tax Help

IRS Presents:Four Places to Find Free Tax Help

The IRS provides free publications and forms as well as other tax material and information to help taxpayers meet their tax obligations.  Here are four great ways you can get the information you need to file your tax return. The best thing about these four options is that they won’t cost you a dime!

  1. IRS.gov The IRS Web site is a one-stop shop for a wide array of tax information. You can even prepare and file your federal tax return – for free – through Free File, a service offered by IRS and its partners who make available free tax preparation software and free electronic filing. But you must go through IRS.gov to use Free File.  Have some tax questions? Check out 1040 Central on the Individuals page for the latest news. Read up on the economic recovery tax credits at IRS.gov/recovery. The Online Services section includes several online tools that will help you with your taxes, including the IRS Withholding Calculator, the Alternative Minimum Tax Assistant, and the EITC Assistant. You can even track your refund with Where’s My Refund?.
  2. Telephone Call the IRS Tax Help Line for Individuals, 800-829-1040, to get answers to your federal tax questions. To order free forms, instructions and publications call 800-829-3676. To hear pre-recorded messages covering various tax topics or check on the status of your refund, call 800-829-4477. TTY/TDD users may call 800-829-4059 to ask tax questions or to order forms and publications.
  3. Taxpayer Assistance Centers When you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone and you want face-to-face assistance, you can find help at a local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.  Locations, business hours and an overview of services are available at IRS.gov. Just go to the Individuals tab and click on the link for Contact My Local Office in the left tool bar section under IRS Resources.
  4. Community Resources Free tax preparation is available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs in many communities. Volunteer return preparation programs provided through IRS and its partners offer free help in preparing simple tax returns for low-to-moderate-income taxpayers. Call 800-906-9887 to find the VITA or TCE site nearest you. You may also call AARP — the largest TCE participant — at 888-227-7669 (888-AARPNOW) or access www.aarp.org to find the nearest Tax-Aide site.

For more information about free services provided by the IRS, review Publication 910, IRS Guide to Free Tax Services available at IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: