Home » FILING YOUR TAX RETURN » Oh Crap You Missed the Filing Deadline

Oh Crap You Missed the Filing Deadline

By Stacie Clifford Kitts, CPA

Well, not really, today is the last day to file your extended individual tax return.

However, if you are not going to be able to file your return today, don’t completely freak out. It happens. Here’s what to do.

First, if you believe that you owe some income tax, in order to stop the accrual of additional penalties and interest for the unpaid amount, you should consider sending in a payment to the taxing agency. If you want to know how to calculate the penalties and interest related to a late filed return, check out Robert Flach’s post here.

Second, you should gather any outstanding information and file your return as soon as possible.

Here’s what to do if you are just unable to get a hold of some of your tax documents.

If you are missing a W2 – you can complete and attach to your tax return Form 4852 Substitute Form W-2 to estimate the income you expect to have. Here is a post on what to do.

If you are missing a K-1 – Form 8082 is used to tell the IRS that you didn’t receive your K-1. Here are the instructions to the Form.

If your tax records have been destroyed, they will need to be reconstructed – here’s how.

If your tax preparer is authorized to electronically file Federal income tax returns, and has applied for the IRS’s on line service, he or she can get your IRS wage and income account transcript (among other information) directly from the IRS’s website using the IRS’s e-services online products – ask your tax preparer how he or she can help you.

If you are interested in what California has on file for you, you can check out your account history on line at My FTB Account.

Once you have completed your return, mail it as soon as possible to the taxing agency with payment for any additional amounts that may be due.

If you do owe with your late filed tax return, don’t be surprised when you receive a notice indicating that you owe some penalties and interest. If you are concerned that the amount the IRS is assessing is not correct or has been incorrectly applied to your situation, consider the need to contact a qualified tax professional authorized to speak with the Internal Revenue Service on your behalf to resolve the situation.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: