IRS Tax Tip 2013-10 Missing Your W-2? Here’s What to Do

It’s a good idea to have all your tax documents together before preparing your 2012 tax return. You will need your W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, which employers should send by the end of January. Give it two weeks to arrive by mail.

If you have not received your W-2, follow these three steps:

1. Contact your employer first. Ask your employer – or former employer – to send your W-2 if it has not already been sent. Make sure your employer has your correct address.

2. Contact the IRS. After February 14, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you have not yet received your W-2. Be prepared to provide your name, address, Social Security number and phone number. You should also have the following information when you call:

• Your employer’s name, address and phone number;

• Your employment dates; and

• An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2012, based upon your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if available.

3. File your return on time. You should still file your tax return on or before April 15, 2013, even if you have not yet received your W-2. File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of the W-2. Use the form to estimate your income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies your information.

If you need more time to file you can get a six-month extension of time. File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return. If you are requesting an extension, you must file this form on or before April 15, 2013.

If you receive the missing W-2 after filing your tax return and the information on the W-2 is different from what you reported using Form 4852, then you must correct your tax return. File Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to amend your tax return.

Oh Crap You Missed the Filing Deadline

By Stacie Clifford Kitts, CPA

Well, not really, today is the last day to file your extended individual tax return.

However, if you are not going to be able to file your return today, don’t completely freak out. It happens. Here’s what to do.

First, if you believe that you owe some income tax, in order to stop the accrual of additional penalties and interest for the unpaid amount, you should consider sending in a payment to the taxing agency. If you want to know how to calculate the penalties and interest related to a late filed return, check out Robert Flach’s post here.

Second, you should gather any outstanding information and file your return as soon as possible.

Here’s what to do if you are just unable to get a hold of some of your tax documents.

If you are missing a W2 – you can complete and attach to your tax return Form 4852 Substitute Form W-2 to estimate the income you expect to have. Here is a post on what to do.

If you are missing a K-1 – Form 8082 is used to tell the IRS that you didn’t receive your K-1. Here are the instructions to the Form.

If your tax records have been destroyed, they will need to be reconstructed – here’s how.

If your tax preparer is authorized to electronically file Federal income tax returns, and has applied for the IRS’s on line service, he or she can get your IRS wage and income account transcript (among other information) directly from the IRS’s website using the IRS’s e-services online products – ask your tax preparer how he or she can help you.

If you are interested in what California has on file for you, you can check out your account history on line at My FTB Account.

Once you have completed your return, mail it as soon as possible to the taxing agency with payment for any additional amounts that may be due.

If you do owe with your late filed tax return, don’t be surprised when you receive a notice indicating that you owe some penalties and interest. If you are concerned that the amount the IRS is assessing is not correct or has been incorrectly applied to your situation, consider the need to contact a qualified tax professional authorized to speak with the Internal Revenue Service on your behalf to resolve the situation.

What to Do If You Are Missing a W-2

Published by the IRS

Did you get your W-2?

These documents are essential to filling out most individual tax returns. You should receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from each of your employers each year. Employers have until February 2, 2009 to provide or send you a 2008 W-2 earnings statement either electronically or in paper form. If you haven’t received your W-2, follow these steps:
1. Contact your employer. If you have not received your Form W-2, contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue the W-2.
2. Contact the IRS. If you still do not receive your W-2 by February 17th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, have the following information:
Employer’s name, address, city, and state, including zip code;
Your name, address, city and state, including zip code, and Social Security number; and
An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.
3. File your return. You still must file your tax return on time even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you have not received your Form W-2 by February 17th, and have completed steps 1 and 2 above, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.
4. File a Form 1040X. On occasion, you may receive your missing documents at a later date and some may have conflicting information. You may receive a Form W-2 or W-2C (corrected form) after you filed your return using Form 4852, and the information differs from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
Form 4852, Form 1040X, and instructions are available on the IRS Web site, IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
%d bloggers like this: