Home » IRS PATROL » IRS Tax Tip 2014-35: Early Retirement Plan Withdrawals and Your Taxes

IRS Tax Tip 2014-35: Early Retirement Plan Withdrawals and Your Taxes

Taking money out early from your retirement plan may trigger an additional tax. Here are
seven things from the IRS that you should know about early withdrawals from retirement

  1. An early withdrawal normally means taking money from your plan before you reach age 59½.
  2. If you made a withdrawal from a plan last year, you must report the amount you withdrew
    to the IRS. You may have to pay income tax as well as an additional 10 percent tax on the
    amount you withdrew.
  3. The additional 10 percent tax does not apply to nontaxable withdrawals. Nontaxable
    withdrawals include withdrawals of your cost to participate in the plan. Your cost includes
    contributions that you paid tax on before you put them into the plan.
  4. A rollover is a type of nontaxable withdrawal. Generally, a rollover is a distribution to
    you of cash or other assets from one retirement plan that you contribute to another
    retirement plan. You usually have 60 days to complete a rollover to make it tax-free.
  5. There are many exceptions to the additional 10 percent tax. Some of the exceptions for
    retirement plans are different from the rules for IRAs.
  6. If you make an early withdrawal, you may need to file Form 5329, Additional Taxes on
    Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts, with your federal tax
  7. The rules for retirement plans can be complex. The fast, safe and free way to prepare and
    e-file your tax return is to use IRS Free File. Free File offers brand-name software or
    online fillable forms for free. Free File software will pick the right tax forms, do the
    math and help you get the tax benefits you’re due. No matter how you prepare your taxes,
    you should always file electronically with IRS e-file. More than 80 percent of taxpayers
    e-file for faster refunds or for easier electronic payment options.

More information on this topic is available on IRS.gov.

Additional IRS Resources:

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: