Taxes don’t have to be taxing. Let IRS Free File do the hard work with easy-to-use software or online fillable forms. IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance. The Alliance is a group of private-sector tax software companies that make their products available for free.
More than 40 million taxpayers have used IRS Free File to prepare and safely e-file their tax returns. The fastest way to get a refund is to e-file your return and use direct deposit.
Here are four tips about IRS Free File:
- Go to IRS.gov. The only way to use IRS Free File is through the IRS website. Once you choose a Free File company, you’ll go to their website to prepare, print and e-file your tax return.
- Taxes made easy. The question and answer format of Free File software will help you find tax breaks that you may be entitled to claim. This could include tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. The software selects the appropriate tax forms and does the calculations for you.
- Free for all. If you made $58,000 or less you can use brand-name software. If you earned more than that, you can use Free File Fillable Forms. This option uses electronic versions of IRS paper forms.
- Easy online extensions. If you can’t complete your tax return by the April 15 deadline, you can request a six-month extension using Free File. It’s free and easy. Remember that an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. If you estimate that you owe federal taxes, make your payment with your extension request to avoid penalties and interest.
Don’t make tax filing difficult; choose IRS Free File. For more information, visit IRS.gov/freefile.
Additional IRS Resources:
IRS YouTube Video:
- Welcome to Free File – English