Home » IRS » FREE TAX SERVICES » How to Find Free Tax Services

How to Find Free Tax Services

The IRS provides free publications, forms and other tax material and information to help taxpayers meet their tax obligations. Free help is available on the IRS Web site, by phone, at local IRS offices and at many community locations.

• IRS.gov You can access free tax information at IRS.gov. At 1040 Central on the Individuals page, you can obtain forms, instructions and publications, learn about IRS e-file, determine your eligibility for the Earned Income Tax Credit, read about the latest tax changes and find answers to Frequently Asked Questions. In the Online Services section, you can access numerous applications to help with your taxes, including Free File, the IRS Withholding Calculator, the Alternative Minimum Tax Assistant, the EITC Assistant and more. You can also check the status of your refund by clicking on Where’s My Refund?

• Telephone Call the IRS Tax Help Line for Individuals, 800-829-1040, to get answers to your federal tax questions. To order free forms, instructions and publications call 800-829-3676. To hear pre-recorded messages covering various tax topics or check on the status of your refund, call 800-829-4477. TTY/TDD users may call 800-829-4059 to ask tax questions or to order forms and publications.

• Taxpayer Assistance Centers When you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone, and you want face-to-face assistance, you can find help at a local Taxpayer Assistance Center. Locations, business hours and an overview of services are available at IRS.gov. Just go to the “individuals” tab and click on the link for Contact My Local Office in the left tool bar section under IRS Resources.

• Community Resources Free tax preparation is available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs in many communities. Volunteer return preparation programs provided through IRS and its partners offer free help in preparing simple tax returns for low- to moderate-income taxpayers. Call 800-906-9887 to find the VITA or TCE site nearest you. You may also call AARP — the largest TCE participant — at 888-227-7669 (888-AARPNOW) or access http://www.aarp.org/ to find the nearest Tax-Aide site.

For more information about services provided by the IRS, review Publication 910, IRS Guide to Free Tax Services available at IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Free File
AARP Tax-Aide
Forms and Publications
Frequently Asked Questions
Small Business/Self-Employed
Contact My Local Office
Publication 910, Guide to Free Tax Services (PDF 21,524K)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: