Home » Posts tagged 'TurboTax'
Tag Archives: TurboTax
Tax Guidance – Election of Reduced Research Credit
TD 9539 contains final regulations that amend the regulations concerning the election to claim the reduced research credit. The final regulations simplify how taxpayers make the election and affect taxpayers that claim the reduced research credit.These final regulations simplify the section 280C(c)(3) election to have the provisions of section 280C(c)(1) and (c)(2) not apply by requiring the election to be made on Form 6765, “Credit for Increasing Research Activities.” The form must be filed with an original return for the taxable year filed on or before the due date (including extensions) for filing the income tax return for such year. An election, once made for any taxable year, is irrevocable for that taxable year.
Have You Been a Bad Bad Taxpayer? No Worries California is Willing to Give You a Break
Even if you have been a bad taxpayer, California is willing to give you a break.
Voluntary Compliance Initiative 2 (VCI 2) is an opportunity for taxpayers who underreported their California income tax liabilities, through the use of abusive tax avoidance transactions (ATAT) or offshore financial arrangements (OFA), to amend their returns for 2010 and prior tax years and obtain a waiver of most penalties.
Filing period: August 1, 2011 to October 31, 2011
Applicable tax years: 2010 and prior
You are eligible to participate in VCI 2 if you (or one of your related entities):
- Filed a tax return that underreported your income or tax liability through the use of an ATAT or OFA.
You are eligible even if you:
- Are currently under FTB examination for an ATAT or OFA.
- Are currently under administrative protest or appeal for an ATAT or OFA.
- Participated in the IRS’s Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative.
You must take the following steps to participate:
- File a completed Participation Agreement form with us between August 1, 2011 and October 31, 2011.
- Attach the form to your amended return to report all income from all sources, without regard to the ATAT and including all income from the OFA.
- Pay all tax and interest by October 31, 2011. See payment options for more information.
Participation in VCI 2 will allow you to avoid:
- The cost of litigation.
- Certain penalties and the associated interest.
- Criminal prosecution.
You can avoid the following penalties under VCI 2:
- Noneconomic Substance Transaction Understatement Penalty
- Accuracy Related Penalty
- Interest Based Penalty
- Fraud Penalty
If you are eligible but do not participate, you will be subject to the full range of penalties and interest, and may be subject to criminal prosecution.
The Large Corporate Understatement Penalty (LCUP) and the Amnesty Penalty cannot be waived under this initiative.