Home » Posts tagged 'Government'
Tag Archives: Government
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service is encouraging business taxpayers, associations and other interested parties to submit to the Industry Issue Resolution (IIR) program tax issues for resolution involving a controversy, a dispute or an unnecessary burden on business taxpayers.
The objective of the IIR program is to resolve business tax issues common to significant numbers of taxpayers through new and improved guidance. In past years, issues have been submitted by associations and others representing both small and large business taxpayers, resulting in tax guidance that helps thousands of taxpayers.
Recent submissions accepted into the IIR program include:
- Network assets in the telecommunications industry (unit of property)
- Asset class determination under Revenue Procedure 87-56 for wireless telecommunication assets
- Vendor mark down allowances in calculation of inventory under the retail inventory method
- Network assets in the utilities industry (unit of property)
Guidance issued as a result of the IIR program includes:
- Technical terminations of publicly traded partnerships – procedures for requesting relief, delegation of authority for granting relief, and a sample closing agreement documenting the conditions under which relief is granted. (Industry Director Communication LMSB-04-0210-006)
- Auto Last In First Out – for automobile wholesalers, manufacturers and dealers regarding the proper treatment of the dollar-value, LIFO inventory method for pooling purposes of crossover vehicles, which have characteristics of trucks and cars. (Revenue Procedure 2008-33)
For each issue selected, an IIR team of IRS and Treasury personnel gather relevant facts from taxpayers or other interested parties affected by the issue. The goal is to recommend guidance to resolve the issue. This benefits both taxpayers and the IRS by saving time and expense that would otherwise be expended on resolving the issue through audits.
IIR project selections are based on the criteria set forth in Revenue Procedure 2003-36. For each issue selected, a multi-functional team of IRS, Chief Counsel, and Treasury personnel will be assembled. The teams will gather and analyze the relevant facts from industry groups and taxpayers for each issue and recommend guidance.
Requests for guidance on tax issues under the IIR program can be submitted at any time to IIR@irs.gov. Submissions received are reviewed semi-annually with selections next being made from issues submitted by September 30, 2010.