Home » IRS » FREE TAX SERVICES » Free Tax Assistance for Members of the Military

Free Tax Assistance for Members of the Military

If you or your spouse are a member of the military, you may be eligible to receive free tax return preparation assistance. The U.S. Armed Forces participates in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program and provides free tax advice, tax preparation, return filing and other tax assistance to military members and their families.

The Armed Forces Tax Council oversees the operation of the military tax programs worldwide, conducting outreach with the IRS to military personnel and their families. The AFTC consists of tax program coordinators for the Marine Corps, Air Force, Army, Navy and Coast Guard.
Volunteer assistors at Military-based VITA sites are trained to address military-specific tax issues, such as combat zone tax benefits and the new Earned Income Tax Credit guidelines.

To receive this free assistance, you should bring the following records to your military VITA site:
Valid photo identification

Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a social security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration

Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents

Current year’s tax package, if you received one

Wage and earning statement(s) — Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R

Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099)

A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns, if available

Checkbook (to get routing number and account number for direct deposit)

Total amount paid for day care and day care provider’s identifying number
Other relevant information about income and expenses

If your filing status is Married Filing Jointly and you wish to file your tax return electronically, both you and your spouse should be present to sign the required forms. If it isn’t possible for both to be present, a valid power of attorney that allows tax preparation can be used to sign and file the return.

There is a special exception to using a power of attorney for spouses in combat zones that permits the filing spouse to e-file a joint return with only a written statement setting forth that the other spouse is in a combat zone and is unable to sign.

For more information, review IRS Publication 3, Armed Forces’ Tax Guide, available on the IRS Web site at IRS.gov or order a free copy by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
Link – Publication 3, Armed Forces’ Tax Guide (PDF 1010.5K)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: